Murray Birrell are also undertaking management of various external repair projects to this collection of historic buildings, which are now luxury apartments and cottages.
Close to Brentwood and 25 miles from central London, the estate used to be over 1,000 acres of deer parks, lakes and woodland. It housed an Italian POW Camp in World War II. Today it includes two golf courses.
Official records date back to AngloSaxon settlements before William the Conqueror's Domesday Survey of 1086.
From 1573, the original Thorndon Hall, now a ruin within the park, was the principal family seat of the Petre family, one of Britain's wealthiest landowners and prominent Catholics. They transformed the previously fortified dwelling into a fine Elizabethan mansion, and filled in the moat.
The current Thorndon Hall was built between 1764-1770. Designed by the notable architect James Paine, with interiors by Samuel Wyatt and landscaped by Capability Brown, it nearly bankrupted the Petres.
The family moved to their other estate at Ingatestone in the early 20th century and the buildings were converted to luxury properties they are today.
For more information on this, please contact Sam Field on: 01689 898288 or firstname.lastname@example.org.